Cooking reinforces math skills, reading skills, science concepts and helps children follow multi-step directions! So put on an apron, wash your hands and get on your way down the road of deliciousness! Have fun!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter (unsalted works best but… salted tastes better)
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- jelly beans or other egg-like candy (we used mini Whopper robin eggs)
Editor’s note: We halved the above recipe for the photos below.
1. Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
2. Over medium heat, stir together the sugar, milk and butter.
3. Once the mixture starts to boil, continue to cook, stirring, for two minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and add the oats, coconut and cocoa powder. Stir until it is well combined.
5. Drop the oatmeal mixture onto the prepared baking sheet by the heaping tablespoonful. The above recipe makes 24-30 nests depending on how much you scoop into your spoon.
6. Press three jelly beans into the middle of each cookie and let them set at room temperature. Enjoy!