Miss Donna is taking us on a birdwatching Woodland Adventure today! Here’s an way you can feed and watch the birds like Miss Donna. This bird seed craft is simple to make and the birds love it, but please note that it does take overnight to dry completely. So our little friends will have to be a bit patient. (We’re sure the birds can’t wait either!)
Messy level: 3
(5 = Super messy. 1 = Not messy at all.)
- 2/3 cup of water
- 2 cups of bird seed
- 2 packets of plain gelatin
- Medium to large cookie cutters
- Parchment or wax paper
- Toothpick or straw (chopstick works, too)
- Small saucepan
1. Get your cookie cutters ready by placing them on wax or parchment paper.
2. Heat your water, over medium, in a small saucepan.
3. As the water begins to simmer add your packet of gelatin and mix until completely dissolved. Mixture should be gel-like. Remove from heat and immediately go to Step 3.
4. Add your bird seed and stir until gelatin mixture is fully incorporated, completely coating the bird seed. You can add more seed if necessary.
5. Spoon your bird seed mixture into your cookie cutters. Push the seed mixture is packed down. You may want to use wax paper to help you push your mixture down, since mixture will be sticky.
6. Use a straw or toothpick to make a hole at the top of your feeder for hanging.
7. Allow the feeder to dry overnight. Occasionally turn it over every few hours to make sure both sides dry completely. Once dry, gently ease the feeder out of your cookie cutter.
8. Hang your cookie cutter feeder to a tree with twine and wait for your feathered friends to visit! What birds will you see?