This beautiful rose is perfect for those book-loving moms on Mother’s Day. A little harder than our normal crafts, we recommend this one for some of our older Museum friends.
Messy level: 1
(5 = Super messy. 1 = Not messy at all.)
- Three book pages (the larger the pages, the larger the rose)
- Pipecleaner or floral wire
- Something thin and round like a pencil
- Skewer (optional)
1. Cut the white area around the book pages off. (Optional step, but it does make the rose look better at the end.)
2. Cut three equal squares out of your book pages.
3. Fold one of the squares diagonally, forming a triangle.
4. Fold your triangle in half again.
5. And again.
6. Take your triangle and cut the open end into a dome shape. (It should look like a rounded ice cream cone.)
7. Once you open your first petal layer, it should like like this.
8. Repeat for other two squares.
9. Important step: Cut out one section from a single petal layer. Two sections from a second petal layer. And three sections from the last petal layer. Do not throw away the sections you cut out. You will need those in Step 10.
10. Run a line a glue along the long edge of one of the three small petal sections. Roll the petal together to form a cone. Repeat for the other two small sections.
11. For the larger petal layers, cover an entire end section in glue and connect to the other end of the layer.
12. Repeat for the other two large sections.
13. Using a pencil or skewer, gently roll and curl the tops of your petals.
14. Two options: Option 1. Use a skewer to stack your flower in order from largest section to smallest, making sure the hole is large enough to fit a pipecleaner through. Option 2. Stack your flower in order from largest to smallest and cut a small whole in the bottom large enough to fit a pipecleaner through.
15. Shape one end of your pipe cleaner into a small bulb.
16. String pipecleaner through your flower.
17. Rose complete. Give to someone to brighten their day!