We’re celebrating World Oceans Day all week long with ocean-related crafts. Today Miss Donna took us on a geology journey where we learned about glaciers and rocks! Recreate what happened on earth millions of years ago with this glacier experiment.
Messy level: 3 (melted ice)
(5 = Super messy. 1 = Not messy at all.)
- Small bowl or cup (that can withstand being frozen)
- Rocks, sand, dirt, twigs, etc.
- Wood board
1. Make your glacier by filling your container with water and adding rocks, sand, dirt etc to your glacier. Freeze overnight.
2. Once you remove your glacier from the freezer, also remove it from its container. (You may have to wait until it starts to slightly melt.)
3. Place your glacier on a titled wooden board.
4. Observe over time to see how the melting glacier causes the materials trapped in it to be carried down the board.