We’re counting down to our Virtual Countdown to Noon with new winter and holiday activities! Tune into our blog SPARK! for a new fun and educational blog everyday until New Year’s Eve. Don’t forget to enter our Countdown to Noon Contest. Your family could win the special privilege of being the ONLY in-person attendees at the Balloon Drop and get to release all the balloons! Raffle tickets available at: https://Countdown2020.givesmart.com
Frying food in oil during Hanukkah commemorates the oil the miraculously burned for eight days. This easy traditional dish can be made even easier by using a food processor. Enjoy!
Happy Hanukkah: Latkes (Potato Pancakes)
- 5 potatoes
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- oil for frying
- salt and pepper
- Peel potatoes and grate using a cheese grater.
- Squeeze out extra moisture from your potatoes using a cheesecloth (or use some paper towels.)
- Combine potato, onion, egg, and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Pour enough oil into a frying pan to cover the bottom of the pan. Start with medium heat and adjust to your stove.
- Flatten a 1/2 cup of the potato mixture in the palm of your hands and carefully add to the oil. Repeat.
- Fry for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side; add oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sour cream or applesauce.