Frying food in oil during Hanukkah commemorates the oil the miraculously burned for eight days. This easy traditional dish can be made even easier by using a food processor. Enjoy!
Happy Hanukkah: Latkes (Potato Pancakes)
- 5 potatoes
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- oil for frying
- salt and pepper
- Peel potatoes and grate using a cheese grater.
- Squeeze out extra moisture from your potatoes using a cheesecloth (or use some paper towels.)
- Combine potato, onion, egg, and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Pour enough oil into a frying pan to cover the bottom of the pan. Start with medium heat and adjust to your stove.
- Flatten a 1/2 cup of the potato mixture in the palm of your hands and carefully add to the oil. Repeat.
- Fry for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side; add oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sour cream or applesauce.